My son sent me the following recipe ~ yes, my son… he may have found a replacement for his German Chocolate Cake addiction!
Happy Friday ~ v
Mama Joan’s 5-day Coconut Cake
For the Icing:
*2 pkg. (total 12oz) frozen coconut, just regular sweetened (bagged)
coconut will work as well
*2 cups sugar
*2 cartons (8oz each) Sour Cream
~Blend above ingredients for icing; place in covered container and
For the Butter Cake:
1 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 1/4 cups flour (preferably cake flour)
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1. In a bowl, with a mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until fluffy and yellow, 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Add eggs, then extra yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Beat in vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir about a third of the flour mixture into butter mixture. Stir in half the milk just until blended. Stir in another third of the flour mixture, then remaining milk, followed by remaining flour.
4. Scrape batter equally into two greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans making sure it is level
3. Bake at 350 degrees until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool on racks in pans for 10 minutes, then flip cakes onto racks and remove pans.
Cool completely before moving on to next step.
1. Cut each layer to make 4 layers.
2. Spread each layer with coconut mixture. The icing will not be firm.
3. Cover cake and place in refrigerator. Serve on 5th day (ok, ok.. I may have eaten mine the day I made it, but the icing really soaks into the cake after each day that it sits- but always keep cake in the fridge)
“Its worth the wait” -my grandmother, Mama Joan