This easy and elegant starter is a delicious beginning to any meal – enjoy!
- 4 T olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 clove garlic, whole
- 1-2 baguettes, sliced 1/2-1 inch slices
- 8 oz smoked salmon, sliced
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 T capers, drained and crushed
- 1/4 c red onion, very thinly sliced (optional for serving)
- green onion, green part very thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, very thinly sliced (optional for serving)
- dill (optional for serving)
- kosher salt
- 1/2 wedges of lemon, to serve
Heat grill pan; Rub baguette slices with whole garlic; drizzle about 1 T olive oil in pan, place bread in hot pan; drizzle with a little olive oil, sprinkle with a touch of kosher salt; turn to grill other side of bread – move to cooling rack to finish grilling the rest of the bread slices.
In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, a pinch of kosher salt, capers and minced garlic; stir until well mixed. To serve, you can get creative:
- pile the grilled bread and salmon on wooden bread board – place the cream cheese in a beautiful bowl aside the bread; place lemon and onion slices in small dishes on the side for guests to make their own appetizers
- slather grilled bread with cream cheese; place a piece of salmon atop the cheese, place a thin slice of lemon or onion atop the salmon. Have fresh dill to sprinkle over. Crushed red pepper adds a little zip – but only put it on a portion of your grilled bread.